Friday, March 09, 2007

Welcome to the blogosphere, Curt Schilling!

It's been a busy week at work, so I have been too tired to do much blogging this week. A couple of things I did want to comment on, though:

The death of Captain America: In case you missed it in the various media, Marvel Comics killed off the iconic superhero Captain America in the latest issue of his comic book. I haven't actually seen the issue yet (I'm hoping that the guy at my local comics store held one for me), but I have been reading Cap's adventures for decades, so I have some pretty strong feelings about his death.

To me, Captain America always represented the ideal of what America should be. Cap always fought to defend the American dream as he understood it. He didn't necessarily fight for what the politicians or military thought he should be fighting for, but for what he (and many of us, I think) believe America should be.

Is Captain America's death a metaphor for the death of the American dream under the Bush Administration? I don't know what the intent of the folks at Marvel was, but that's the way I'm reading it.

Extra Innings goes to DirectTV: MLB finally announced the agreement with DirecTV. Of course, they couldn't get it done without Bud Selig calling the fans concerns "ridiculous". Once again, baseball proves that it thrives in spite of the men who run it, not because of them.

Y'know what? I can find something else the spend the $180 on this year. I'm certainly not going through the hassle of switching to DirecTV.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker