Friday, February 29, 2008

Think the Red Sox-Yankees rivalry has been getting a bit stale? Too many games each year making them seem a little less special? Well, thank God for Hank Steinbrenner.

Hank had this to saw about the phenomenon of Red Sox Nation in the New York Times:

“Red Sox Nation?” Hank says. “What a bunch of [expletive] that is. That was a creation of the Red Sox and ESPN, which is filled with Red Sox fans. Go anywhere in America and you won’t see Red Sox hats and jackets, you’ll see Yankee hats and jackets. This is a Yankee country.

I guess all those people in the stands wearing Red Sox gear in Baltimore, Tampa, Anaheim and other cities around the American League were planted there by ESPN.

My favorite line of Hank's, however, is this:

"We’re going to put the Yankees back on top and restore the universe to order."

Compare that quote to one from Darth Vader, the Dark Lord of the Sith in The Empire Strikes Back:

"With our combined strength, we can end this destructive conflict and bring order to the galaxy."

Looks like Larry Lucchino was right about that whole Evil Empire thing.

1 Comments:

At 9:45 AM, Blogger rick.adk said...

I really think that someone needs to do a reality check. Or stop with the funny mushrooms.

I live in Albany, New York. As in the same state as the Yankees are from, about 2 1/2 hours from the Stadium, even. One would think that if Mr. Steinbrenner's dream were true that I would see Yankees logos next to NRA stickers on every pickup. You'd think that I would see Yankees flags on every flagpole, and Yankees memorabilia the only thing sold for miles around.

Think again, Mr. Steinbrenner. I see just as much Red Sox merchandise sold. I see just as many pickups with Sox logos next to the NRA stickers. I see just as many Sox hats worn. In fact, I even see more Sox merchandise than Mets merchandise.

Nice try, now back to your fantasy league team. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker