Friday, October 03, 2008

A few playoff thoughts:
  • First, read this. ESPN's Bill Simmons on Manny Ramirez. It's long, but it's good stuff.
  • Have you ever seen a 97 win team unravel as quickly as the Cubs? Ryan Dempster gives up 7 walks to the Dodgers in game 1. Every member of the Cubs infield makes an error in game 2, including two on routine plays in the 2nd inning that led to five LA runs. Yahoo's Jeff Passan had a great line: "History reserves some things for the Cubs."
  • I feel for Cubs fans, though. I've been there, folks. Of course, things appeared pretty dark after 19-8 in 2004, so you never know what might happen.
  • Does anyone else think Jon Lester may be the best pitcher the Red Sox have developed since Roger Clemens? Yeah, it's a little early to be making such comparisons, but can you think of a better pitcher that's come up through the Red Sox system in the last couple of decades?
  • C.C. Sabathia's coach turned back into a pumpkin against the Phillies. On his 4th consecutive start on three days rest, Sabathia got knocked around in the Brewers game 2 loss yesterday. I never thought the Brewers would beat the Phillies - they are just too flawed, especially with Ben Sheets health an issue and poor defense. I hope they can grab a game or two back in Milwaukee, though, just to make things interesting.
  • Do you think there are Fox TV executives who go to bed having nightmares of a Rays-Brewers World Series?
  • I'm beyond sick of the Frank TV commercials.
  • Trying to go to sleep during Game 1 was an exercise in futility. With the 10:00 start and work the next morning, I went to bed after the 4th inning. I may have dozed off for a bit, but I was back downstairs soon enough and watched the rest of the game. I got to bed about 1:20 AM and had to wake up at 5:30 to get my train. I actually did all right until around 3:30 or so (aided by my Starbuck's white chocolate mocha), but I was seriously dragging by the end of the day. It was worth it, though, to watch the Sox 4-1 game 1 win.
  • Jacoby Ellsbury has already been on base seven times through the 4th inning of game 2. If he can keep getting on base like he did in the World Series last year, the Sox are going to be tough to beat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker