Thursday, May 14, 2009

Things can only go up from here, right?

I speak, of course, about David Ortiz. Big Papi's 2009 reached what I'm hoping is the bottom today. During the Sox 12 inning, 5-4 loss to the Los Angeles/California/Anaheim Angels, Ortiz went 0-for-7 with three strikeouts and left 12 men on base. He left the bases loaded twice. He's now batting .208 and is still looking for his first home run of the year.

I will never say anything bad about David Ortiz. He has done too much for the Red Sox and given us all too many great moments for that. But I really think it's time for Terry Francona to do something. I'm not sure what the right answer is: a day off? Move him down in the batting order? I don't know what might get Papi going back in the right direction, but we're 35 games into the season. It's time to act.

1 Comments:

At 9:41 PM, Anonymous George Jenkins said...

Injury. Either he's trying to play thru it and shouldn't, or he hasn't told the team's physicians how bad it is. Great players don't have a slump this long and this deep. They make adjustments.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker