Tuesday, March 20, 2007

I was in a bookstore recently and was taking a look at the book 1,000 Places to See Before You Die. It got me to thinking about the places I would like to see before I kick off.

1. The Ultimate Road Trip: I have talked about this here before. This is the road trip to all 30 Major League ballparks.

2. Europe: Specifically, I would love to go to London (because it sounds like a cool place), Paris (because it's supposed to be as romantic as places get) and Italy (because A. spent some time there as a child).

3. Disneyland: Although I have been to Disney World numerous times, I have never been to Walt's original park. It seems like something I need to do.

4. Korea: I have been there twice to pick up the kids, but obviously didn't have time to do a lot of sightseeing. We have a trip scheduled with a company that runs trips for adoptive families for the Summer of 2009.

5. I-90, end to end: I have spent most of the last 25 years of my life living within a short distance of the Massachusetts Turnpike, which is Interstate 90. The road runs from Boston to Seattle. I have driven it as far west as Chicago, but that's only about a third of the way through. I have also been to each end - Logan Airport in Boston and the junction with I-5 in Seattle, but I would love to drive the whole thing someday.

6. Israel: I think a trip to the homeland of the Jewish people is a must.

7. Las Vegas: I have never been, believe it or not. I'm not a big gambler, but I think I would like to go to see the spectacle, the shows and the Star Trek Experience.

8. Rock & Roll Hall of Fame: I have had a couple of memorable trips to Cleveland, including one with the USS McAuliffe to go to the International Superman Exposition in 1988, but they all predated the opening of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. It's really a must-see, for me.

9. Memphis: Four reasons: (1) Graceland; (2) Beale St.; (3)The National Civil Rights Museum; (4)Amazing BBQ. I went there two years ago to deal with some of the stuff from my great-aunt's estate, but had no time for any sightseeing (although I did have some BBQ). I would also include a side trip to the Shiloh National Military Park, the site of the Civil War battle, about 2 hours away.

10. Space: Why not? Virgin Galactic is going to be doing suborbital flights. They are going to be very expensive to start, but I'm guessing the cost will come down over the next decade or so. If it got down to $25,000-$30,000, would I think about doing it? You bet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker