Tuesday, October 28, 2003

I was watching the William Shatner Biography episode tonight and it reminded me of a couple of things. First, before Shatner became a cultural icon he was a very highly regarded actor both on the stage and on TV. Second, the famous Saturday Night Live "Get a Life" skit is hysterically funny. I think it's even funnier now that I've distanced myself from active fandom and actually gotten myself a life.

Of course, I suppose that if I really had a life, I wouldn't be sitting here watching William Shatner on Biography, would I?

We've only got a couple of weeks of J's first soccer season left, and I have to admit that I still don't get the whole soccer thing. I never played the game much growing up, of course. Nobody played soccer back then. We played a lot of baseball, of course, along with touch football, street hockey, basketball and lots of other games. I don't really understand the rules, the strategy or much else about the game. J has fun playing it, though, and I suppose that's what really counts.

One game from my childhood that I'm looking forward to teaching my kids is called "Outs". It consisted of taking a rubber ball and throwing it against a concrete or brick wall as hard as you could. Your opponent had to field the ball cleanly on one bounce or in the air. If he succeeded, it was an out. If he misplayed the ball, it was a run. We'd play this game for hours, and it was a lot of fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker