Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Well, looks like the big winning streak we've been waiting for from the Red Sox is finally here. If the 9-1 lead the Sox currently have over Toronto holds up, the Sox will have won five out of six on the road trip. It's about time.

It's been a tough year for the division races. Barring a major collapse in September, five of the six divisions are already decided. The only one that's really still contested is the AL West, where Anaheim trails Oakland by 1/2 game and Texas is 1 and 1/2 back. The next closest contender is San Francisco, 5 back of the Dodgers in the NL West.

Even the Wild Card races are getting narrowed down. There are really only three teams with a serious shot in either league. The Sox, Angels and Rangers in the AL and the Cubs, Giants and Padres in the NL. For all the talk of parity this year, not many teams survived the dog days of August.

I've been playing a highly addictive computer game called Wingnuts. It's based on the old arcade game Time Pilot. The story is that you fly around a plane and destroy enemies from throughout time. As you advance through each round, the enemies get tougher and are from later time periods. The first round starts with Wright flyers around 1909 and I've made it through the 7th round, which gets you to the early part of World War II. If you're interested in trying it, go to Freeverse Software and check it out. There's a demo available for both the Mac and that other OS.

I was invited to a party that some old members of the Boston Star Trek Association are holding at the World Science Fiction Convention over Labor Day in Boston. The BSTA was a very big part of my life during my college years and I met a lot of good people, many of whom I've lost touch with over the years. I'm hoping to be able to go - it's the night of the Hillies game and I'll be pretty beat after driving to Pittsfield and back. I'm going to do my best to make it though. It'll be fun to catch up.

If you're interested in finding out about the BSTA (and searching the archives for some truly scary pictures of me!), go to the BSTA Archives Web site.

Last but not least, there is a new Wahconah Park Web site out there. Archives of news stories, park history, a bulletin board and other interesting stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker