Saturday, October 30, 2004

"World Champion Boston Red Sox." Are there five more beautiful words in the English language?

I've had a few days to digest this now, and boy does it feel good. I'm getting used to the concept that we're not going to be let down, there's not going to be another Bill Buckner or Jim Burton. Although I've been around for Celtics and Patriots championships, this one has such a different feel to it. I feel like it's altered the way I look at the Sox, and that it will forever. We're no longer cursed and there's no need for the old "they'll find some way to screw it up" fatalism. They won. Maybe they'll win again sometime soon. With Theo and the front office they have in place, there's no reason why not.

On Thursday we had a Red Sox victory celebration at work. It was originally supposed to be a rally, but no one really expected the Sox to sweep the Cardinals! So there were refreshments and a trivia contest. I not only participated in the contest, I was also one of the multiple choice answers to a question! Here's the question:

Which Red Sox player hit a home run in the 8th inning of game 6 of the 1975 World Series to tie the game?

A) Dwight Evans
B) Bernie Carbo
C) Carlton Fisk
D) Capn Ho (it actually had my real name, but no names here, remember?)

I pointed out that I was only 11 years old when the Bernie hit the home run. It was a fun time.

Thursday was such a strange day. I had a very difficult time concentrating on work. All I wanted to do was check out accounts of the Sox victory on the Web and chat with people about the game. Needless to say, I wasn't at my most productive.

I went back and forth on what to do about going to the parade. I ended up wimping out, along with my friends Bismo and The Hey. After hearing the original plan for the parade, I was worried about bringing J. into those huge crowds and worried about getting into and out of the city. If it was just me, I probably would have taken the chance, but I couldn't leave A. with both kids (who had activities at the same time). As much as I would have liked to be there, I feel like I made the right decision.

That didn't stop me from dropping a wad of cash on Red Sox gear, though. T-shirts, sweatshirts and hats were purchased at the Sports Authority last night. I ended up going back today because they were out of the locker room caps. They had plenty today and I got one. I'm thinking I should have bought two - one to wear and one to keep, but I can always go back later.

It's been a great run, and a period of my life I'll always remember. I just hope it doesn't take another 86 years to get the next one!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker