Monday, December 13, 2004

Big weekend for free agent signings, with lots of ballplayers finding new homes. Here in Boston, the biggest news so far is the signing of David Wells to a two year contract. Wells will replace Derek Lowe as the Sox number 3 starter next season. This sounds like a good deal for both sides. Wells signed for a low base, with lots of incentives if he can make all his starts.

Of course, I thought that Theo Epstein had intended to tone down on the "Idiots" theme from last season. Now he's brought in the biggest idiot of all in Wells. At least with Schilling and Boomer in the clubhouse, the writers won't be hungry for quotes.

Of course, this news will pale in comparison to the media storm that will occur if Pedro Martinez signs with the Mets. According to reports in various places on the Web, the Mets have offered Pedro a 4 year, $56 million contract (that's $14 million/year, for those of you keeping score at home.) The Sox have offered a comparitively paltry $38.5 million over 3 years and don't appear to be willing to go to four years.

If Pedro goes to the Mets, good luck to him. I won't hold any hard feelings against a guy who takes a better deal. All I'm asking, Pedro, is that you are honest about it. Just say you went to the Mets because they offered more money. No one is going to hold it against you if you tell the truth.

Speaking of telling the truth, I was in the room while A. was watching the end of Survivor last night. I never watch these reality shows, but I was watching the last "Tribal Council", where the last two players apparently present their case as to why they should be the winner. Both of them were going on about how sorry they were that they hurt the other players feelings during the game and such.

I found the whole thing very amusing. Here's what I think they should have said, "Listen, we were playing a game here, and I wanted to win the $1 million. I did what I had to do to win. Nothing personal against you, OK?" I mean, it's pretty evident from what little I know about Survivor that you've got to lie to someone to win the game, right? If you can't handle that, don't play!

Finally, I took the kids to see The Polar Express in IMAX 3D at Jordan's Furniture yesterday. The movie was OK, and the experience was certainly greatly enhanced by the giant screen and the 3D effects. I didn't think the story held together particularly well, and I doubt I would have enjoyed it as much in a regular movie theater.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker