Monday, March 27, 2006

I heard an interesting statistic on the radio this morning. Out of over 3 million NCAA Basketball Tournement brackets entered on ESPN.com, only four managed to pick the correct Final Four of UCLA, Florida, LSU and George Mason.

Of course, George Mason was the one that really messed people up. Only around 1,800 people picked that school to make it to the Final Four, and I have to think they were all alumni or students. Also, 93% of the brackets submitted picked at least one of the #1 seeds to make it to the Final Four. This year was the first time since the tournament expanded to 64 teams that all of the #1 seeds failed to make it.

I'm betting those four people are feeling pretty good about themselves today.

Only one week until Opening Day (six days if you count the ESPN Sunday night opener between the White Sox and Indians). I'm really, really ready for the season to begin. The World Baseball Classic was an interesting diversion, but I'm looking forward to games that actually count.

One thing I'm struggling with, as I do every year, is whether to pony up the money for the MLB Extra Innings package. This is a cable package where you get numerous out-of-market baseball games. They always have a free preview during the first week of the season, which is akin to drug dealers handing out free heroin samples to potential new customers. It costs about $150 for the season, which is only about $25 a month. I could easily talk myself into it, but I'm still going back and forth. With Sox games on NESN, plus games on TBS, ESPN and Fox there is plenty of baseball on the tube. But can you ever have enough?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker