Saturday, September 30, 2006

As I mentioned a few days ago, I spoke at the Fenway Park Writers Series yesterday. I had a couple of minutes to talk about the Vintage Base Ball Federation. I started out talking about vintage base ball in general and some of the rule changes from the 1880's until today. Then I talked about the VBBF, what our goals were, the World Series we're planning next summer and some of the people involved. I got a good laugh from the Fenway crowd when I mentioned Jim Bouton and said, "Jim used to be a Yankee, but I try not to hold that against him."

I also had a chat about vintage base ball with Dr. Charles Stienberg, the Red Sox PR guru, who was at the lunch. I had never actually met him before, so that was pretty cool.

Finally, the main event was the appearance of legendary baseball writer Roger Kahn. Mr. Kahn wrote The Boys of Summer about the Brooklyn Dodgers and was a personal friend of Jackie Robinson. He had a number of great stories about Robinson and other members of the Dodgers like Pee Wee Reese, Carl Erskine and Duke Snyder. He also told us the very sad and touching story of his son, who died young of a heroin overdose.

The Fenway Writers Series is a great event, and they are going continuing it during the off-season this year. If you ever have the opportunity to go, check it out.

On another note, we picked up my glasses today. I'm wearing them right now, and they really do make a big difference when looking at the computer screen. Of course, it looks like someone else is staring back at me when I look at myself in the mirror, but I suppose I will get used to that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker