Sunday, March 25, 2007

We went down to the Dunkin Donuts Center in Providence yesterday to see the Harlem Globetrotters. I haven't seen the Globetrotters in at least 15 years, and saw them a number of times as a kid.

We had a great time. The Globetrotters are as funny as ever. They guys who play on the team are good athletes and great showmen. The game, as always, is unimportant. I almost feel bad for the poor guys on the nominal competition, the New York Nationals, who have to play the straight guys for the Trotters night after night.

The show is a nice combination of slam dunks, set pieces and ad libbing by the Trotters. The kids loved it and A. and I had a great time as well. If they're in your neighborhood, they're worth checking out.

1 Comments:

At 12:49 PM, Blogger The Hey said...

I hate to say it and it really not fair to the current players but to me they just to not come close to the guys on the team that I saw when I was a kid like Curly, Goose and Meadowlark.

The biggest problem I had when I saw the newer team a couple of years ago was that they played TOO MUCH real basketball and not enough antics and horseplay.

I know it sounds almost blasphemous to say that you do not want a basketball team to play a real game, but the Globetrotters before always appealed to people that didn't follow to even like basketball and this current edition seem to play a much more structured game.

One thing about the current team I will give props for: When they are not on tour they practice at Disney World at the Wide World of Sports fieldhouse and the practices are open to the public (free admission). There is a whole LOT more fooling around and horseplay during this time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker