Wednesday, March 31, 2004

OK, I know it's been over a week since I updated my blog. Things have been busy lately, what with birthdays, the merger heating up and the annual charity auction gala for R.'s nursery school coming up. So here's a short update, including my 2004 baseball predictions.

I turned 40 yesterday. I'm feeling a bit depressed about the number, but when I look at my life so far I feel pretty good about it. I've been married for 11 years to a woman I love, I have two wonderful kids, a job that I like working with good people for good money. My parents, in-laws and my brothers family are all in good health. My finances are in good shape and if all goes well I can look forward to a comfortable retirement in 20 years or so.

Regrets? I have a few, but then again, too few to mention (sorry, couldn't resist the Sinatra reference, there). I guess if I had to point at one major thing I wish I could go back and change, it would be that I went for a career that I was passionate about. Accounting was the safe choice when I went to college. Looking back, maybe I should have gone into sports management or broadcasting, both of which I considered. Could I be Theo Epstein or Don Orsillo now if I had pursued a different course? Maybe, but we'll never know.

Not that I hate what I do. My work is challenging, usually interesting, occasionally frustrating and financially rewarding. I'm sure lots of people wish they had jobs like mine.

Anyways, enough of that. For the past few years I've run a baseball pool where I ask a few friends and co-workers to pick the division and wild card winners; the pennant winners; the World Series winners and the MVPs and Cy Young winners in each league. Here are my picks for 2004:

AL East champion: Boston Red Sox
AL Central champion: Kansas City Royals
AL West champion: Anaheim Angels
AL wild card: Oakland A's

NL East champion: Philadelphia Phillies
NL Central champion: Chicago Cubs
NL West champion: San Francisco Giants
NL wild card: Houston Astros

AL Champion: Boston Red Sox
NL Champion: Chicago Cubs

World Series Champion: Boston Red Sox

AL MVP: Vladimir Guererro
NL MVP: Albert Pulhols

AL Cy Young: Barry Zito
NL Cy Young: Eric Gagne

I wouldn't ordinarily pick the Sox, but in my opinion, this is the best Red Sox team of my lifetime. It's because of the starting rotation. The Sox have never had a top three to match Pedro, Schilling and Lowe. The closest teams are probably the '78 Red Sox with Luis Tiant, Dennis Eckersley and Mike Torrez or the '86 pennant winners with Roger Clemens, Bruce Hurst and Oil Can Boyd, but I don't think either of those teams match this years big three.

You all can check this out in October and see how far off I was.

Sunday night is the first game, and it'll be in HD on ESPN. I can't wait!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker