Saturday, January 21, 2006

I decided recently that it is entirely possible that I know too much baseball trivia.

A few nights ago I was at our local pizza place. The guy working the counter had on a Red Sox Green Monster T-shirt, that showed a picture of the Wall. Under the picture the shirt said "Since 1912".

I immediately thought, "That shirt is wrong."

I knew, of course, that although Fenway Park was built in 1912, the Green Monster as we know it today wasn't built until Tom Yawkey renovated the park in 1934. Prior to that, a tall wooden left field fence backed up Duffy's Cliff, an incline that inspired the hill in Minute Maid Park's center field. And the Monster wasn't even painted green until 1947, when the advertisements were removed.

All this went through my head in a few seconds. Then I thought, "Maybe I need to get a life."

Nah.

1 Comments:

At 3:16 PM, Blogger Bismo said...

I agree you MAY at times be too aware of trivia, but in this case follow your instincts... I would'a called the guy on it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker