Thursday, March 30, 2006

I read today on Yahoo that the Yankees have spent $783,466,307 on player payroll since they won their last World Series in 2000. By contrast, the five teams that actually won the Series (2001 Diamondbacks, 2002 Angels, 2003 Marlins, 2004 Red Sox and 2005 White Sox) only spent $415,768,166, or 53% as much.

I guess money really doesn't buy happiness, or World Series rings, does it?

Julian Tavares got cuffed with a 10 game suspension by MLB for smacking the Devil Rays Joey Gathright as he tried to get up after a slide in a Spring Training game last earlier in the week. I was a bit surprised the suspension was that long - I was guessing five games, but I think Tavares' prior record worked against him. I would guess Manny Delcarmen will probably take his place in the bullpen at the beginning of the season.

It's too bad Tavares won't start the season with the Sox, but I can't say the Bob Watson was unfair in setting the punishment. Tavares really needs to get his temper under control.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker