Sunday, November 15, 2009

Two very cool baseball related things that have happened to me:
  1. Getting to play at Fenway Park at the Jimmy Fund Fantasy Day: The company I work for used to sponsor the Jimmy Fund Fantasy Day fundraiser at Fenway Park, and in 2001 I was selected to participate. I got to play first base for 45 minutes, then was allowed to take 15 swings at the plate. It was pretty much like every dream I ever had. I wrote about the experience shortly after. If I can find the files, I'll post them here sometime.
  2. Being mentioned in a book by Jim Bouton: Most baseball fans know Jim Bouton as the author of the classic Ball Four, but Jim wrote a book called Foul Ball: My Life and Hard Times Trying to Save an Old Ballpark plus Part Two. Jim and his partner Chip Elitzer made two attempts to refurbish Wahconah Park in Pittsfield. I was involved in the second attempt. You can see the actual page here. Bonus points on this one: when I was being treated for thyroid cancer in 2005, Jim printed a draft version of Part Two from his word processor and sent to me in a three ring binder. It is among my prized possessions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker